The chemistry of natural products
This session will present a series of lectures on the organic chemistry of natural products. The topics will include chemical ecology, medicinal natural products, phytochemistry, and natural products biosynthesis.
This session will take place on the afternoon of Thursday, June 3rd in Dunn 208.
Professor José L. Giner, SUNY-ESF. Dr. Giner works at the interface of organic chemistry and biology, studying in particular natural insecticides from euphorbias and petunias, and antiviral sterols from marine sponges.
- Bedoukian Research is a leading supplier of natural products, such as perfumery chemicals and pheremones.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb aims to "discover, develop and deliver innovative medicines that help patients prevail over serious diseases."
- Prof. William H. Gerwick, UCSD Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, and Scripps Institute of Oceanography.
- Prof. Eloy Rodriquez, Cornell University.
- Prof. Coran Watanabe (Texas A&M University)
- Prof. Peter Buist (Carleton University)
- Prof. Chris Boddy (University of Ottawa)
|Dr. Gerwick||Dr. Rodriguez||Dr. Watanabe||Dr. Buist||Dr. Boddy|
Thursday, June 3, 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM
- The Chemistry of Natural Products
- Dunn 208
Organizer/Presider: Jose-Luis Giner
1:00 226 Chemical Evolution of Antitumor Natural Pharmaceuticals. Eloy Rodriguez, Cornell University
1:30 227 Characterizing Thioesterase-Catalyzed Macrocyclization in Polyketide Biosynthesis. Christopher N. Boddy, University of Ottawa
2:10 228 Thinking outside the Box: Probing Desaturase Diversity. Palash Bhar1, Amy E. Tremblay1, Nigel Tan1, Derek Hodgson4, Brian Dawson4, Darwin Reed3, Ed Whittle2, Pat S. Covello3, John Shanklin2 and Peter H. Buist1, (1)Carleton University, (2)Brookhaven National Laboratory, (3)NRC, (4)Health Canada
3:10 229 Synergistic Interplay of Biosynthesis and Organic Synthesis in Natural Products Chemistry. José L. Giner, SUNYESF
3:40 230 Got Milk Blindness? Betalactoglobulin and Its Link to Age Related Macular Degeneration. Coran M. H. Watanabe, Texas A&M University4:20 231 New Versus Established Strategies for the Discovery of Bioactive Natural Products from Marine Cyanobacteria. Robin B. Kinnel1, Eduardo Esquenazi1, Hyukjae Choi1, Alban Pereira1, Irma Soria-Mercado1, Adam C. Jones1, Pieter C. Dorrestein2,3, Lena Gerwick1 and William H. Gerwick1,2,3, (1)University of California San Diego, (2)University of California San Diego, (3)University of California San Diego